Search This Blog

Pages

Yorkshire Dales: Buckden to Kettlewell (11.3 miles)

Sunday, 30th April 2017

I surprised myself on this walk in a way I never expected!  It was intended to be a second attempt at Starbotton Fell - the fell we walked up, in the fog, on my initial NNAS Bronze navigation course.  I always wanted to do it in fine weather to see what views we'd missed but I arrived in Buckden and looked at the unnervingly steep sided fells off to my right and chickened out!  

Instead, I opted for a (allegedly, according to the signposts) leisurely, 4 mile low level walk to Kettlewell instead (so a there and back would make it 8 miles).  Hmmmm... don't always believe what the signpost distances tell you.

Anyway, I surprised myself by doing 11.3 miles.  I could have walked further too.  I love my Meindl shoes and my leisurely paced walking.  Boots and a fast pace really do seem to aggravate my tendon so they're a thing of the past!

Some pics:

River Wharfe

Double-whammy signpost OCD


Peaceful walled lane

Bridge to Starbotton

A little higher up at Calfhalls

Bridge into Kettlewell


Greater Whernside

Thanks for looking 😊