Search This Blog

Pages

2018's Walking Plans and Goals

I'm adding this really to have, all in one place, my "wish list" for 2018 (instead of it just being random thoughts in my head!).  So, in no particular order:

Challenge365 - my personal, home-made challenge to walk at least a mile a day for a year.  I've signed up to ViewRanger's Walk250Miles Challenge to help me log my miles and "prove" (not sure to who though!) that I've done it.

County Bagging Project - to bag at least one new County this year.  Country Walking Magazine handily provided a map with County Boundaries on as part of their own Walk1000Miles challenge - their idea being that for every 100 miles walked you colour in a county.  Nope, I'm going to colour in the county when I've "bagged" it.  My only criteria for classing a county as "bagged" is that I have completed a walk or walks totalling no less than 10 miles in that county.  I've got my eye on Rutland this year.  And possibly Northumberland if time and finances allow.

The Yorkshire 3 Peaks - no, not the flog-yourself-to-death-and-do-it-all-in-one-go challenge, simply to walk each of Yorkshire's classic 3 peaks individually.  In truth, I've already done Pen y Ghent a couple of times and Ingleborough once so my main target this year is Whernside.

Camping - just simply to get my money's worth out of my tent!  I have lots of long weekend walking breaks planned and camping is a cheaper way than staying in B&Bs for having lots of little holidays, particularly if you avoid the school holidays and weekends.  Here's hoping for warm weather and sunshine!!! 

Yorkshire Wolds Way - nope, not "thru-hiking" (as the Americans say) the whole Way in one go but little bits of it done as day walks.

Cleveland Way - again, not thru-hiking, but done as day walks when I can fit it in.  I prefer to do the moors section in August/September though when the heather is in bloom.

So, aye.  There you have it.  Plenty of walking to be plotting, planning and doing for the upcoming year.