Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Kelsey Gardens from Burstwick (2.5 miles)

Sunday, 17th February 2019

We're having unseasonably warm weather for February - temperatures in the teens, plus sunny blue skies... and on a weekend too!

Did a nice walk yesterday from Yoga and walked back down Nun's Walk and over the fields and, because it was such a lovely day and hasn't rained in ages, I extended it and walked across the cow field, around the back of Haven Arms and along the drain bank.  I was ready for a cuppa and food after that!

Today was slightly less sunny and a bit more blustery so I thought I'd explore getting to Kelsey Gardens from Burstwick Village instead of the disused railway for a Sunday Bacon Sarnie and cuppa.  Nice walk.  Easy walk. Probably a mud-fest after rain but setting off from the village was a path I'd not explored before.

After getting parked up I headed off down Newbridge Road, a quiet country lane and soon after, turned right onto East Carr Lane (track).

East Carr Lane (track)

I followed this until the turn-off for Kelsey Gardens.

Going a little off-piste to avoid the access road to Kelsey Gardens

 I had a little mooch about to see if the path round North Lake had been opened up yet. It hasn't.  But it is a nice leafy woodland path that remains on the start of it.

Bit of Gorse in bloom on the old North Lake path

 I clambered about a bit to get my bearings before retracing my steps and heading to the butty shack.

Random patch of snowdrops

 I got a bacon sarnie and a cuppa at the shack and stared and daydreamed across the lake.  There was nothing going on today - sometimes you get kayak/canoe-ers or the model boat club using the lake, but not today.

Sneaky peek through the reeds

 After my sarnie and cuppa I sort of retraced my steps but followed the hay meadow's edges (discouraged due to irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs crap all over it and not picking up or picking up then chucking the poo bag into the long grass - morons).  I don't have a dog with me so I felt no guilt at walking this route.

Crab apples (thought it was the wrong season)

I saw a large patch of snowdrops through the bushes but couldn't get a clear piccy of them.

From there, I simply retraced my steps along the East Carr Lane (track) again.  Saw a couple of dodgy looking blokes with dogs, probably going rabbiting.

The lack of rain is making it's lack of presence felt in the field drains - I've never seen them so low apart from last summer when we had our heatwave.
Not much water in East Carr Drain

All in all, a nice moochabout to while away a couple of hours.

My achilles tendon seems to be aching a little bit yesterday and today and was a bit stiff when I got up this morning.  Hope it's nothing to do with these new shoes I've got which don't seem to have as much cushioning in the sole as I've got used to.  I miss my Meindls!

Thanks for looking 😊