Search This Blog

Pages

February Lockdown Walks

Looks like we're in for another month of lockdown, so here's February's paltry efforts.

 03/02/2021 - Henry Boot Way Circuit (1.7 miles)
Had to go into work today so decided to try a new circuit.  All industrial/business park/urban. Not really that inspiring but it was a lunchtime leg stretch. And the rain held off.

The not so leafy lane next to work

04/02/2021 - Walk to the shops (1.5 miles)
Sun's out and I needed the shops - perfect excuse for a lunch break mooch. Saw a couple of robins, great tits and squirrels.  And my first patch of snowdrops. It was nice to get out and I wish it could have been for longer.  Very muddy after all the recent rain.

Snowdrops

05/02/2021 - Another walk to the shops (2.8 miles)
After all the rain and flood alerts I thought I'd head to the drain bank and have a looksee at the water level:
High water levels in the drain,
with flooded fields just visible beyond

08/02/2021 - Hessle Foreshore (2 miles)
First proper bit of snow so I had to get out in it.  Had to go into work so made the most of my lunch break. Got blasted by the blizzard in the pic - loved it!:
Blizzard incoming across the Humber Bridge

11/02/2021 - Shops again (2.8 miles)
Home again today so I enjoyed a scenic walk to the shops in the sunshine. Wish I could be out for a bit longer though:
Snowy track
normally a mud bath but beautifully frozen today

12/02/2021 - Beverley Westwood (0.8 miles)
Took my Mum to get jabbed today at the Racecourse on Beverley Westwood (currently a Covid Vaccination Centre) so had a 20 minute mooch in the sunshine and snow whilst I waited.  Ohhh how I wish this walk could have been longer!  First "hill" I've been near since before Christmas. It was great to see everyone sledging down the opposite hill and great to see some different scenery, albeit briefly:
Looking towards Black Mill on the Westwood

13/02/2021 - Hedon to Burstwick (5.8 miles)
Lovely sunny, blustery and bitterly cold day.  Snow still around and the ground is frozen solid.  Perfect conditions for walking the bank top alongside Burstwick Drain (normally a mudbath).  A walk I've not done for probably about 7 years, maybe even longer.  Not the most exciting walk but it was a good way to waste 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon:
Heading towards Burswick
along Burstwick Drain bank top

Two swans in residence on the flooded field

Not marked on the map - a small (inaccessible) lake
with over-wintering ducks and geese

Returning to Hedon on the old rail track

21/02/2021 - Shops again (1.5 miles)
Everywhere's a swamp-fest with all the melting snow/ice from last week so I've been making do with boring, functional pavement plods. Today's boring, functional plod had me spotting a new addition to the side of the pub:
Sir Captain Tom (RIP)
a new addition to the side of the King's Head Pub

25/02/2021 - Shops again (3.5 miles)
What an absolutely gorgeous, sunny day.  Lovely walk to the shops.  The mud's nearly dry.  The birds were in full springtime birdsong. I saw robins, great tits, blackbirds, dunnocks, magpies and squirrels. Winter aconites, snowdrops and daffodils all dancing about in the sunshine too.  Yes, absolutely lovely walk - really lifted my spirits.  

Winter Aconites in the orchard

St. Augustine's Church
with a moody sky behind
(and annoying street sign in front!)

26/02/2021 - Mattocks Lane Circuit (3 miles)
Lovely walk after work in the late evening sunshine. There was a huge almost full moon tonight but the new phone didn't pick it up.  Still a nice pic though:
Looking across to Burstwick
from Mattocks Lane

28/02/2021 - Hedon to Kelsey Gardens (7.9 miles)
Glorious day so I decided to do the last of my walks from my door that I would normally drive to the start of.  I did a full write up of this separately, but this was my fave pic of the day:
South Lake
at Kelsey Gardens


The "stay at home/local" restrictions are being eased a little as from 29th March according to the recently announced Covid RouteMap out of this hellhole so it's looking like another month of local walks until then.  

I'm feeling like I'm on first name terms with every twig and blade of grass on my walks now 😃😄