Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Beverley Westwood (3 miles)

Sunday, 11th February 2018

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick of drab, muddy, rainy days where every walk I do involves squelching through boot-sucking mud, so, I had a lovely little wander around Beverley Westwood in today's glorious sunshine in the hope that I could avoid the worst of the mud by going "off piste" and just wandered to whatever I fancied visiting in my line of sight by whichever meandering path I felt like taking.

I'm no stranger to the Westwood (and it's cattle in summer ) but today's walk had me discovering things I never knew was there and had me pondering on what the Westwood had been in a past life.  Turns out it's been a quarrying area and a burial site, amongst other things and is, to date, used for the grazing of sheep and cattle.  I've never seen sheep on it though.  Cows, yes.  They come and lick the road salt off your car Oh, yes, parking's free for up to 4 hours and you might even come back to a clean car!

Anyway, despite the bitterly cold wind and the short hail shower it was great to be out in the sunshine.  Despite it being rough grassland, the fact you can walk where you like means you can avoid the mud.  It did amuse me that people were following the tracks across the Westwood, which were quite brown and squelchy when all they needed to do was walk next to the tracks and stay mud free.

Some pictures...

Heading to a small plantation,
with the Racecourse stands to the right

I never knew this was here

On towards another stand of trees
(can you spot what I can spot in them?)

Yep, one of these
(I didn't know this was here either)

Lovely, gnarly old tree
looks like it's maybe lost a few limbs though

At first, I thought this was Cobbler Well
but it turned out to be just a big puddle!

In there's Cobbler Well

And that's it - Cobbler Well
bit of a letdown to be honest!


Sheltered bench with Gorse in full bloom

Black Mill

The tiny dot in the middle of the screen is a Skylark!

Rubbish attempt at an arty-farty picture

Views over to the high wolds- Staxton Hill direction

Beverley Minster rising above the town

Newbegin Pits.  A nice walk when it's not muddy

Final destination - the butty shack!

For whatever strange reason, my achilles tendon was playing up today.  It's weird how some days it's absolutely fine and others it's not.  

I'm adding this walk to my meagre list of minimal-mud local Winter Walks


Thanks for looking