Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Burton Constable Hall's Grounds (3.75 miles)

Sunday, 25th March 2018

Today's meander was another mud-avoidance attempt around the grounds of the rather grand Burton Constable Hall.  Despite it being only a 20 minute drive away from me, I've never walked around the grounds even though I have been round the house itself and done a couple of Archery taster sessions there.

It costs £5.50 to get into the grounds (via the tea room).  This fee excludes a tour of the house but you can wander around the courtyard and outbuildings which have some interesting bits and bobs to nosey at, including a whale(!) although the courtyard seems more geared up for children.

There are 3 walks available within the grounds; the Parkland Walk, the Lakeside Walk and the Woodland Walk.  I managed to link up all 3 to create an interesting and varied longer walk.

Anyway, I took a few pictures:

Burton Constable Hall

Whale Skeleton

Wire bambi in a nest of unopened Daffodils

Heading across the parkland
 At the end of this parkland, the official walk turns right to do a loop and return to the tea room.  However, I sort of veered left so I could join up the parkland walk with the lakeside walk.  Apparently you're not supposed to do this, and I had to prize open a rickety old gate and clamber through a fence to get to the lake!  It didn't look like I was the first person to do this either... just sayin' 

The lake

Canada and Greylag Geese

Capability Brown's bridge

Lots of Daffodils in the woodland
 To the right of this woodland is the entrance to the static caravan park and the walk joins up with the access road ... just sayin' 
Arty-farty pic of the day

18th Century Bathing Pool

Heading back towards the Hall through the grazing pastures

Avenue of Trees on the woodland walk
 I can imagine this woodland walk is lovely when the trees are in leaf.  I wonder if this was once an access road to the hall as it goes straight to the rear courtyard and stable block, although you don't get the impressive view of the front of the house on the walk up.

Stone representation of the bridge

Whalebone art bench

"Constable Moby" Whalebone art near the bench

Random monument

Quite an impressive wire art sculpture

Wooden representation of the hall
 - apparently there was a spring/water here once

Nope, they're not milking the whole whale thing at all!
A pleasant and varied walk in the sunshine and most of the mud can be avoided.  I might re-visit in summer now I've recce'd it... just sayin' 


Thanks for reading