Search This Blog

Pages

YWW: Hessle to Ferriby (4 miles)

Sunday, 18th March 2018

I've done previous walks along Hessle Foreshore to and from the official start of the Yorkshire Wolds Way so I thought I'd continue further along to Ferriby but starting from the parking spot under the Humber Bridge.

Officially, heading in this direction, the Yorkshire Wolds Way passes to the left of the hotel but the steps down on to the "beach" are severely eroded and, with hindsight, I should have walked down the lifeboat ramp instead.  So, I chose the other option and walked to the right of the hotel, pretty much following the driveway to their car park.  Reaching a gate beyond the hotel the route is obvious and on a good, compacted hardcore type path.

Much of my outward walk looked like this:

I was heading up to the jutty-outy bit in the centre of the above pic.

Eventually I got to the only incline on the walk and from this bit, the terrain got a little bit more squishy:


I decided to follow the true path of the YWW - possibly a mistake at this time of year as a spent the next quarter of a mile bog-dodging, not helped by the fact the ground was covered in snow:

The small patch of scrubland opened out onto something that looks like a playing field:
Here, there were a few other people around, mainly dog walkers.

At yon end of the above pic there are some information boards:



I spent a while reading those.  The Yorkshire Wolds Way continues a little further beyond this field before turning inland to Melton/Welton but I followed the edge of the field round to the right.

My arty-farty pic of the day:
A replica of the boats which used to launch from here in yesteryear.

 I continued on a small loop to follow a permissive path through some woodland:
In-keeping with it's enchantedness, there were all sorts of strange things dangling from trees and stuck in the ground:

I can imagine in Spring and Summer this little woodland is totally different.


There were a few birds around too.  I was lucky enough to get the above pic of a Thrush, who seemed unfazed by me.

So back to my return leg.  Simply retracing my steps back to the car.  This route is also part of the Trans Pennine Trail - a cycle route, although I saw more Sunday strollers than cyclists:

Looking across Redcliff Sands (the Humber Estuary!) to a sprinkling of snow on South Ferriby:

Much of my return journey had views like this:
With the Humber Bridge being the dominant feature.

All in all, a nice couple of hours walk and I'm now back up to speed with my Challenge365 miles.


Thanks for looking