Search This Blog

Pages

WI Walk: North Cave Wetlands Nature Reserve (2.1 miles)

Saturday, 3rd August 2019

Well.  I can confirm I did absolutely NO walks last month so I'm well behind with my Challenge365 Mile A Day For A Year project.  The weather has been far too hot for me with record breaking temperatures of 38.7 degrees C.  Around here, we topped out at a mere 35 degrees but the heat of the wind made even walking in the shade a waste of time.  Even paddling in the sea was horrid due to the lack of shade on the beach and the heat of the wind.

Aaaanyway, for the past couple of weeks I've had an awful cold which went onto my chest, resulting in feeling like I was breathing through a soggy sponge and I very nearly didn't go today because any kind of physical exertion makes me cough and I just have no energy.  But, I knew this walk would be a short, gentle walk with lots of stops at each of the bird hides so I decided to make the effort.

We walked around the perimeter of "Middle Ground":

Outline map of the Nature Reserve

Looking across "Middle Ground"

More "Middle Ground"
 There was a Kingfisher flitting around here.  Luckily, our guide had a really decent monocular and got it set up so we could have a proper look.  With the naked eye, all we kept seeing was that quick flash of blue/green but through the monocular it was a wonderful sight!

Spot the frog

Flies on Mallow

Cinabar moth caterpillar

Arty-farty pic of Rosebay Willowherb

I think the red flowers are Scarlet Pimpernel

Spot the Peacock butterfly

Damselfly

More Kingfisher spotting on Far Lake

Flooded (intentionally) grassland - a different kind of habitat
By the end of the walk I felt a lot better in myself but needed to sit down in a cool place and have a bite to eat and a cuppa..... so we stopped off at The Potting Shed in North Cave!

Great choice of walk Mo and our really knowledgeable tour guide made it a really interesting walk.

Parking: North Cave Wetlands car park
Distance: 2.1 miles
Max height: 38 ft

Thanks for looking 😊