Search This Blog

Pages

Local Walk: Beverley and the Westwood on POETS Day!

Friday, 27th December 2019

We got a flier from work today.  I suspected we would, so I took my walking shoes and troos with me in anticipation!

Having not had "the nod" from SHQ before noon, I dashed out to Tesco for some some bits and bobs and took the long route back to get my mile in for the day, only to return back and my colleague said we'd had "the nod" and could go after 1pm.  

After a quick flurry of productivity(!!) and, after a quick change of clothes, I was away.  Lunch on Beverley Westwood in the murk?  What more could you ask for?!!

I decided to walk to the North Bar Within / Without entrance to the Westwood and do a giant anti-clockwise loop via the racecourse, the mill and the woodland path back.


The lack of signage under "The Westwood" told me there's no cows on there at the moment, which was a relief.

But yeah, my head was in the clouds (metaphorically) and I followed the families and dog walkers along the woodland path instead.  So off I trotted across the road and went off-piste over somewhat squishy rough grazing pasture, leaving the crowds behind (but not the sound of traffic).  It's such a shame that this ancient patch of common land is bound on all sides by busy roads.

I squelched along aimlessly, deliberately choosing the roughest ground and steepest gradients (I use the word "steepest" loosely!) as a bit of a training exercise for my upcoming hols  I heard the many Churches in Beverley chiming 2pm which reminded me I'd not had my lunch yet so I made a bee-line for Black Mill where there are benches.

As I got higher up I noticed the murk and mizzle rolling in but, hey, I'd rather be here in that than sitting at my desk!


Arriving at Black Mill, I mentally willed all the people who seemed to arrive at the same time as me to sod off.  They obliged, and I enjoyed my sarnie in relative solitude.

I could feel the mizzle on my face now and the wind was picking up so I headed down towards the golf course, again taking the roughest, steepest ground I could find.  I didn't expect to see anyone playing golf today so just wandered around a bit.  I did discover some strange ... containers .... fixed on posts in the bushes.  On closer inspection it turns out they are snazzy little devices to clean muddy balls.  Golf balls I presume.  Though I did wander off with some odd thoughts going through my mind for a while afterwards (stop sniggering!).

After crossing the other road I took the direct route up to a stand of trees near the Racecourse.  There is a memorial stone in the trees but, given the recent rain, I decided to give paying it a visit a miss as the area was a slippery, muddy swamp.  Instead, I continued along the edge of the Racecourse for a while before dropping back down to re-cross the road and head up the other side, this time skirting round the other side of the woodland path I first walked in on.

From there, it was a simple case of heading to the first road I crossed and returning to civilisation.  The rain had started properly now so I reckon I timed it just right.

Four miles to go now to reach my Challenge365 Mile A Day For A Year target and four days to do it in.  By Jove I think I'll manage it!

No Achilles tendon problems either.  I could get used to this walking without pain malarkey.

Parking: At work
Distance: 5.1 miles
Max height: 131 ft

Thanks for looking