Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Hedon to Preston (4 miles)

Sunday, 5th April 2020

What a gorgeous day it was today.  And I was wracking my brains for a walk that would avoid people, knowing that the sunshine would bring them out in their droves.  

Instead, I plumped for a walk up to the next village, returning across the fields.

I decided to get the worst of the road walking / pavement plodding out of the way first and broke it up a bit as I headed through Watsons Park:



… and then onto the road for about a mile or so:


I’ve never seen this road so quiet. 

Passing the fire/ambulance station with it’s lovely cherry tree in blossom:


I forgot about the hill at the traffic lights though!  Kwooooorrr.  I was glad the lights were at red so I could have a breather 😉

I decided to cut through the Church.  Another lovely building, and a bit more hill to climb up:



The exit brings me out opposite Nuns Walk with its info board high up on the wall:





A lovely leafy-lane walk followed before bursting out into the paddocks:


Apparently seeing a piebald horse is good luck.

Through the paddocks and more leafy laneage:


What a cracker of a blossom tree.

The least interesting lane of the walk was this one which crosses the Cranswick Foods access road:


At least it’s fairly short and I spotted some newly installed alpacas/llamas:


….before turning onto a tiny dead-end lane to curve round the back of the last building:


This path is notoriously squishy and badly maintained so I was surprised to find it both dry and the hedgerows cut back, although some of the fencing still needed attention.

I ended up on Middle Lane and gave way to two horse riders out enjoying the sunshine.  I was surprised to see them riding on the road as neither were shod:

  
 I exited Middle Lane and crossed Staithes Lane and onto the fields:


Yep, them pesky cooling towers again!

A little further along and Hedon Church came into view:

Plus I spotted an “old school” ditch crossing device – two planks of wood.  Though I didn’t need to cross it, I just had to, for old time’s sake.

A look back at Preston Church:


Had a nice chat with this chap who was doing his bit for social distancing:


At the end of the field there is a bench.  So I sat.  In the sunshine. With some nice rural views (ie. facing away from the cooling towers).  I felt a knot of anxiety that I never realised I was feeling disappear and a lovely feeling of peaceful calm came over me.  

After a short stretch across the next crop field I crossed the old railtrack and on into the “cow field”.  This time I simply walked straight across it to the unofficial exit at the other side:


…and I popped out onto the normally muddy track behind Elsie Gate. 

I decided to follow the track to Farrand Road to get a pic of this sculpture/memorial (which I’ve been meaning to do for a while now):


It’s lit up on a night too and looks really lovely.

I was thrilled to discover that the official “you are now entering Hedon” sign has been revamped:


It was looking a bit shabby and faded before Christmas.

Oh, here’s a peculiarity of the locality – white phone boxes:


I went up the track behind Drapers Lane:


Parched and baked dry to the point there’s big cracks in the mud.  It’s hard to imagine the drain bank had overtopped just a couple of months ago with all the rain and storms Whatever They Were Called.

And more of the same along the unofficial side of the Havenside path:


Eventually I returned to the main road and checked on the chippy which is closed until further notice:


After noticing the doors on the first floor I decided I must look into the building’s history (it’s a listed building).  I don’t often look at the shop from this angle.  

Well, it were a reet nice mooch in’t sunshine it were.

Thanks for reading 😊