Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Old Ellerby Bluebells (4 miles)

Sunday, 19th April 2020

Decided to do this walk anti-clockwise for a change, primarily to save the bluebell woodland for the latter part of the walk and to get the worst of the road walking out of the way first.

Lovely wide farm track:

I enjoyed the wide-open-spaces views across to Hull, and yes, I could still see Saltend's cooling towers!

There were small patches of bluebells in the scrubby woodland which gave me hope for views of a "bumper crop" in the proper woodland.

Eventually, I popped out onto another quiet country lane:

 Oh it does the soul good to hear those skylarks singing.

A view across to the woodland I would soon be walking through:

After turning off the road I encountered a hill!  Normally we would walk this route the other way and I can't say I'd noticed the gradient going down!  I enjoyed "the challenge".  It felt good to get an upward gradient into my legs.  View looking back down the hill (somewhat flattened thanks to the camera):

My first little patch of bluebells:


I took a short detour here through the woodland to see where a "forestry" track led.  Nowhere as it happens - just out to the field at the other side.  I retraced my steps:

Looking across to the White Stag in Burton Constable Hall's grounds:

More bluebells.  Again, I knew there was better to come:



I found a small clump of wild garlic so I plucked a couple of florets and nibbled on them.  Wow! they're powerfully strong flavoured!:

At last, a glimpse to the entrance of the "woodland proper" with the bluebells I had been anticipating:

And here they are.  Carpets and carpets of bloobies in the wonderful dappled sunshine of the woodland:



 Oh they looked and smelled wonderful!

There is a small pond in this woodland (man-made).  It's naturalising nicely:

I found a fallen tree trunk to sit and have my snack on.  I just sat, listening to the sound of the birds chirruping and the wind rustling through the trees.  It was so lovely I took a short video, more for the sound than anything:


Walking across this parched field (RoW) wasn't a problem today.  After rain, or when the crops are high, it is a total nightmare!:


Finally, a short walk through this enclosed track.  Luckily, you can see both ends from either end so spotting anyone coming through wouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure chickens are aware of the social-distancing rules though!:

I saw NOBODY.    

This was a WONDERFUL walk.  Not to mention the little, short, sharp hill that got my legs and lungs going.  Sunshine, bluebells, solitude, exercise. Perfect.  Simply perfect.