Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Humber Bridge Country Park (1.8 miles)

 Tuesday, 8th September 2020

Nice little mooch in the sunshine after work.

Got parked up next to the Humber Rescue station - there's a small car park with enough space for about 6 considerately parked cars, or 10 if you just hoy your vehicle in any-old-where.

Seeing as it was such a lovely day, I headed to the road to get this snap of the Humber Bridge:


Traffic roaring across it (it was rush hour).  

I headed towards the Black Mill and the start of the Country Park trail(s):

The only other Black Mill I know of is on Beverley Westwood.  Unsurprisingly, it's a mill, painted black.  Even more surprisingly is they look very similar, only this one doesn't have cattle grazing nearby.

Anyway, I digress.

After walking through the two underpasses that take you safely under the A63 you are pinged out into a lovely woodland.

It reminds me of Danes Dyke, only noisier, with the sound of the traffic never far away.

The trail(s) alternate between woodland and open parkland:


After climbing round a fence to see where the trail on the other side of it went (nowhere), I retraced my steps a short way and headed down lots of steps:

It's so flat round here that people aren't used to climbing up things so the Council have placed a few handy seats for you to get your breath!

A first glimpse of the quarried chalk "cliff" face:

With an unusual bench/sarcophagus thing below.

l meandered around a bit and, before long, I came to the pond:  

I'd have liked to get a pic of the full pond but there was a family having a picnic and swim at the other end (off to the right of that pic).

Back through woodland again and more chalk cliffs:

For the brave/stupid there are some good beyond extreme mountain bike trails up round/over/off the cliffs.  I don't think they're official trails mindst!

Back out into open parkland again:

Once again, I didn't take a pic of the full view due to another family having a picnic.  The sun on the trees looked lovely though.

But never far away, the Humber Bridge and the traffic noise:

Shame about the traffic noise really as it is a lovely little place to mooch around.

A final shot of a chalk cliff face:

Right next to this is an obvious unofficial bike trail going up the side of it.  I eyed it up, earmarking it for a good short, steep training path for getting some ascent into my legs.  But not today.

Eventually I returned to the underpasses.  It was nice to note that they didn't smell of tramps and wee and aren't littered with discarded needles/Maccy D packaging.

I decided to return to my car via the very short walk on "the beach":

...Before returning up the Coastguard slipway to my car.

Nice little mooch.  It was nice to see lots of other people - families and dog walkers - enjoying the area too.  

Oh, at the time of writing there are flood defence works going on along the foreshore... with a 6-way traffic light system SIX WAY!!! plus a sign saying "you may be waiting up to 7 minutes for the lights to change" SEVEN MINUTES!!  Note to self: park in the other car park next time.

Thanks for reading 😊