Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Drewton Wold (4.8 miles)

Wednesday, 18th April 2018

I'm having a lovely week off work so far.  Can't fault the weather - glorious sunshine and warm - a far cry from the last 3 months of mud and rain.  So, after a couple of days spring-cleaning the house and massacring the grass for it's first cut of the year, I decided to make the most of the weather and re-visit a walk I've not done for a looooooong time.

I think the last time I did this walk, the Drewton Estate were in the middle of thinning and felling the trees and the area looked awful - the landscape looked scarred, raw, damaged (though all those cut pine trees smelled lovely!).  I decided it was bad enough at the time that that I wouldn't do the walk again for a year or two to allow the landscape to heal and re-naturalise.

Today was the day to re-visit.  And I'm glad I did.  I headed down, down, down Swinescaife track:

Heading down Swinescaif track from Beverley Clump
 And then headed down some more at my four stops hill:
Looking down Comberdale
my four stops hill

A brand-spanking-new signpost

The thinning out has re-naturalised now
- much more light and airy
 I sat here a while in this sheltered dale on a convenient tree stump and listened to the rustle of the wind in the treetops and the birdsong amongst the branches.  Then I heard the distinctive mewl of a Buzzard.... and the birdsong stopped.  I never heard any squawking and scuffling so I guess the Buzzard went hungry this time.
Glad to see the two big old trees are still there
 After a lovely, gentle wander along the valley bottom, it was time to start climbing up, up, up again.  It starts off gradually with a steep sting in the tail!
You can't tell from this picture but the path rises steeply
up East Dale
 The breeze up at the top and out of the trees is most welcome after the climb!  Pity there isn't a tree stump up here too to rest a while and, errr, take in your surroundings 
... then you pop out of the woodland at the top at High Hunsley

Mid-field trig point

My car in the middle of the pic
- oh so far away!
I sat a while on Ronald Bradley's bench.  It's looking a bit worse for wear now and needs a bit of TLC.  The distant views were a bit hazy - but that's not a bad thing as, today, I couldn't see Eggborough!

From the bench at the top of all the up,up, up, I headed down, down, down again through the wonderful, leafy sunken lane towards the field above Diamond Cottage.  On reaching the field, I was pleased to see it was full of sheep rather than cattle and there was a chap in it with some professional camera gear taking photographs of the sky.  I looked up and saw a Red Kite lazily circling overhead.  I'm sure the pictures he took are far better than the blurry blob image I managed to get!  What a treat to see though 

I continued down Diamond Cottage's driveway and over the old railway bridge to Weedley Springs.
Beautiful carpet of Celandines at Weedley Springs

The weir at Weedley Springs

This is the first time I've seen this little chalk stream flowing

Lambsies on The Warrens
 All that remained now was the final up, up, uphill finish back up my four stops hill and back along Swinescaife track again.
A final look down my Four Stops Hill
(I stopped twice this time)
I'd forgotten just how peaceful and quiet this walk is.  No roar of traffic.  Lots of birdsong.  The breeze rustling the treetops 

Yes, I really enjoyed the walk and I'm glad I left it a good, long while before I revisited after the tree thinning.  It's lovely around there again now.


Thanks for looking