Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Preston Lake (4 miles)

Saturday, 11th August 2018

Another beautiful day.  I'm getting used to these!  Today was pleasantly hot though, with a nice breeze.  Ideal walking conditions.

I'd been to yoga in the morning and felt limbered up and ready for a little local mooch so I left my car at the Village Hall and set off for a lovely, gentle amble in the countryside.

Heading across the fields, I decided to do the walk clockwise for a change.  I usually do it anti-clockwise, especially if I do the slightly longer 5 mile walk.

Lovely skies

Harvest is well under way now
 I crossed a few increasingly rickety stiles but this is a small price to pay for a wonderful lack of mud.  It was so peaceful until I heard a sound overhead.  At first, I thought it was the "Copper-Chopper" or the Coastguard helicopter.  Turns out it was an old aeroplane - possibly a Lancaster Bomber flying low overhead.  Unfortunately, by the time my ancient phone had loaded up the camera, the plane was nowt but a dot in the sky!:
Lancaster Bomber?

Bulrushes in the field drain
 Preston Lake isn't marked on the map but, here it is:
Preston Lake
 There was a family out cycling sat enjoying the views over the lake so I sat a little way away from them to enjoy my own view.

After a nice break, I carried on, following the field edges - aiming for "Des Res".  In the picture below, from left to right the horizon shows a stand of trees, Hedon Church, Saltend cooling towers and "Des Res":
Des Res on the right

Des Res
Every time I walk past this place it looks a little more run down and there's a little bit more missing from it.  When I reach the farm (farmhouse to the left of Des Res) I see a little bit more rubble piled up and a new bit of hardcore on the ground!

From there, it's an easy walk along the road (I prefer the grass verge) back to the Village Hall.

A lovely 4 mile walk in the sunshine and I was ready for my cuppa and lunch when I got home!

Thanks for looking 😊