Search This Blog

Pages

Hull/East Yorkshire: Bilton Circuit (4 miles)

Sunday, 2nd September 2018

First walk of the new month and a new walk for me.

I parked up in Asda's car park and headed back to the Main Road where I took a right turn for a looooong walk on the pavement to Wyton Bar.  As this was the first time I've done this walk, it was quite interesting to nosey in people's gardens and front windows but, as a regular walk, it would be boring as hell after a couple of times!

I approached Wyton Bar and looked out for my footpath off to the left.  I'm not too sure why it's called Wyton Bar - it's a local thing, maybe harking back to Lord of the Manor type times?  Anyway, I found my turn-off ....
Wyton Bar turn off
... and immediately started walking on the wrong side of the ditch - following a very clear footpath I hasten to add! 

It wasn't until I decided to have a looksee at my map that I realised I should have been on t'other side.  Oh well, never mind.  I survived unscathed and unshot by the farmer for trespassing. 

Ooops, wrong side of the ditch
 There's lots of signs of Autumn around now.  The bushes are full of berries and fruits:
Crab Apples

Hawthorn berries (there were a few Rosehips in there too)

Nice crop of Sloes for anyone wanting to make some Sloe Gin
 Soon enough I spotted a gap in the hedge where I would have joined the path I was already on and continued around the field edge until I reached Hungerhills Lane.  I turned left and was immediately protected from the lovely, cooling breeze on this double-hedged lane:

Hungerhills Lane
 I crossed Holmes Lane and wandered along the field edge on the other side.  It was here I crossed paths with a chap walking his two dogs - they certainly weren't on any official footpath, that's for sure... food for thought.
Much of the rest of my walk looked like this

Zoom in of the high rise flats in East Hull and the Stoneferry Needle Chimney
 The rest of my walk would continue around the field edge above and, nearing the other end of it, I crossed paths with another chap out walking.  Again, he wasn't on an official right of way either. 
Elderberries
After a quick meander through a narrow path between the sides of some houses I emerged out onto the Main Road opposite Asda.

My initial plan for this walk was as a recce to see if it would be any good as a Winter walk but no, it would be horrendously muddy in Winter.  However, after deciding that the walk along the Main Road is pretty boring so I wouldn't be doing it again, and after spotting those chaps both walking on not official paths, I may just revisit and head up along my exit route and have a little mosey around where they were walking... just to see, you see.

Thanks for looking 😊