Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire - Rudston

Saturday, 15th September 2018

Today was the start of our WI Walking Group weekend away at Cober Hill.  There were 9 of us going so we headed off in 3 cars to Rudston for our first walk of the weekend.  4.75 miles in the rolling Wolds countryside.

Heading up South Side Lane (track) towards Zigzag Plantation

Nice views over towards Thorpe Hall


Stopping for a breather after a rather long climb
 
Another breather and more fabulous views

Lovely views

Fungi

All Saint's Church, Rudston
We headed down to the church to look at the "massive erection" ....

Info about the Rudston Monolith

Rudston Monolith


Family burial plot of McDonald of the Isles

Winifred Holtby's Grave

Rudston Church

I just liked the patterns in the slate on the roof of this cottage

Info Board





One of the many water pumps dotted around Rudston
 After we finished this walk we headed up to Cober Hill to get checked in and freshened up for our evening meal. 

I managed to sneak in a crafty 1.6 mile walk up the lane to Cloughton Wyke before dinner making my total mileage for the day just under 6.5 miles.

Cloughton Wyke




Walkers on the Cleveland Way

The steps back up to Cober Hill
A fabulous start to our walking weekend.  The food, as always at Cober Hill, was plentiful, fresh and delicious.  

We spent the evening in The Green Room and played some weird word game thing that Penny brought!  Some of the ladies brought their knitting (yes, really!) - they're knitting poppies for Remembrance Day and we need a few hundred!

Ponderings:

I was quite impressed at the amount of energy I had really.  Normally I struggle with any hills but the long, slow hill out of Rudston didn't seem to bother me much, nor did my achilles tendon give me any gyp.  My legs didn't feel as if they'd done a walk either (hence my second stroll to the clifftop). This is the first time I've felt like this since my Weekend Escape to the Dales back in January.  Strange and Random!


Thanks for looking 😊