Search This Blog

Pages

Ambleside: Day 1 - Getting there and settling in

Monday, 6th January 2020

I was looking forward to my week off work - now everyone was back and depressed after Christmas and I was sickeningly cheerful with the anticipation of a week off I'd been keeping a beady eye on the forecast for Ambleside.... and wasn't impressed.  Perhaps my punishment for banging on and on about having a week off to go walking in the Lakes.

On Monday morning I contacted the place where I was to pick the keys and parking permit up from to double check a few things and asked them what the weather was like there.  "Raining heavily and set in for the day" was the answer.  Great!

My original plan was to do Orrest Head as a "walk on the way" but with the weather doing what it was doing I reckoned I'd get no views so decided to set off a little later and just pick my keys/permit up and head straight to my accommodation and hope that I could at least get a short walk in somewhere before darkness.

It seemed to stop raining just as darkness fell - typical!  So I spent the evening just settling in and getting provisions in for the week.  Luckily there's a Tesco Express a few doors down from my accommodation.  There followed an evening of cooking my meal and trying to figure out if there was any wifi available as TripAdvisor reviews seemed to say it was a bit sketchy.  I gave up in the end and decided to have a digital detox.

Tuesday's forecast wasn't looking fantastic either.  More heavy rain and gale force winds - deep joy!

Pots washed, stuff unpacked, showered and bed.  I always struggle to get to sleep the first night in a strange bed and, true to form, sleep was a long time coming.

Some pics of my accommodation for the week:







A nice little home from home (but with better views out of the window).