Search This Blog

Pages

Ambleside: Day 3 - Loughrigg Fell (7.4 miles)

Wednesday, 8th January 2020

Today seemed to have the best of the weather so far this week.  I could finally see the fells clear of any cloud.  There was even patches of blue sky.

With this in mind I decided Loughrigg was today's walk.

I wanted to see Rydal Cave and avoid coming down the Loughrigg steps so I planned on doing the walk anti-clockwise.

After making my packup I decided not to wear my new winter duvet as it really is too mild for that yet.  So I shoved my waterproof shell in my rucksack and put on my insulated "puffa" style jacket and headed out of the door.

It's great this having fab walks straight from the door.

I pretty much retraced my steps from yesterday's return route, through Rothay Park and over the little bridge.  Had I been doing the walk clockwise I'd have headed up the steep tarmacked road off to the left a few yards ahead but instead I continued along the Under Loughrigg Road (a really quiet lane) to Pelter Bridge where I took a left turn to skirt round the flanks of Lanty Scar.  It was an easy enough, pleasant lane/track so far, heading gently uphill with occasional views of Rydal Water.

Easy walking on the path from Pelter Bridge

Looking back at Pelter Bridge
Rydal Water
The track roughened up a bit as it turned into a stoney what I call a "farm track" as it undulated over the lumps and bumps towards my first objective of the day.  Rydal Cave.  Marked on the map as "Quarries (dis)" I reached the first one (not realising there are two) and thought well that doesn't look like I was expecting and how the hell do you get up to it?  Someone popped out of the cave and shimmied down the 10 feet of smooth rock face.  "Oh, that's how" I thought, quickly followed by "I won't be doing that then".

Not the main cave
I meandered on and spotted the real thing.  Instantly recognisable from photographs.  That's better!  After the obligatory "outside looking in" photograph I tiptoed over the stepping stones (superbly grippy rock) and had a bit of a poke around the bits of the cave that wasn't flooded.  I didn't spot any goldfish or tadpoles which I've heard said can be found in here.

There was another couple in the cave and I kept out of the way of their arty-farty photography gadgets but, jeez, will you hurry up!  Eventually they started to move on and I stood patiently waiting for them to get beyond the stepping stones, except they decided to stand and do a selfie-snog photograph in front of the cave.  To be honest, it looked a really nice, romantic moment but GET OUT OF MY PICTURE.

Rydal Cave
outside, looking in

Rydal Cave
inside, looking out

Little Robin flitting around the cave
I continued along the path, choosing the higher path when any options came along and soon I was turning the corner onto Loughrigg Terrace with fantastic views over Grasmere (lake).

Grasmere
I'm sure a few Yuppie Yachts bobbing around on there would improve that vista no end (joking).

Eventually I got to the sharp left turn up the hill and "the Loughrigg Steps".  Urrrgh.  Can't say I was looking forward to this bit all that much but if I wanted to tap the trig on Loughrigg then they were a necessary evil.

Loughrigg Steps
To be honest, they start off okay, lull you into a false sense of security for a couple of hundred meters, then .... well then, there's obviously been some erosion and landslips resulting in some Steps For Giants.  My legs were starting to feel the burn!  I may have stopped a couple of times to admire the scenery, give way to folks coming down and generally "enjoy" the experience.  All I'll say is, there are many false summits before you reach a sort of squishy col and the trig comes into view.... up yet more steps!

Trig on Loughrigg
I finally make it and touched the trig.

Loughrigg - bagged!


Really narked because I can't seem to upload the vid the right way up!

My camera was starting to play up again, this time telling me my memory card was full so I did my summit pano-video using my GPS phone's camera.  It was then I spotted some weather heading in from the north and hoped it wouldn't reach me too soon.  It was pretty blustery up here anyway so I dropped down off the top to find a sheltered spot for my lunch.

Although, the sun had vanished behind those ominous looking clouds and I became more concerned about getting off the hill "proper" so I delayed my lunch stop... for quite a while as it happens - as I meandered up and down and round some of the lumps and bumps that make up Loughrigg.  This would be a smashing little fell to lose yourself on.

Heading to the trees in the mid-ground
towards Ambleside
Eventually I reached the bridleway and decided to stop and feed - I was famished by now - about 5 miles without a snack stop?  What's all that about?  I sat and inhaled my cheese and sarnie spread wrap and an apple and it was then I discovered I'd forgotten to pack my mug for my fluffy coffee.  Miffed, I quaffed a bit more water.  A poor substitute I have to say.

At one point I spotted a deer and stopped to take a photo.  Only to be caught up by a group of about 30 walkers.  I asked if they would mind waiting a minute whilst I took a photo of the deer....their response/? "oh dear (laughter)" ... and they carried on walking.  Needless to say, the deer spooked.  Inconsiderate Morons.

Group of 30 morons
Once on the bridleway it was an easy enough meander down towards the bridge over the River Rothay and on through Rothay Park again.

I picked up my evening meal and a gooey bun on the way back to my accommodation.  I could get used to this.

I could feel my legs had been given a good workout by now and I was glad to have a proper sit down.  To be fair, after nearly 8 miles with only one 10 minute snack stop, I'm not surprised.

Yet again, a good walk, shower, food, glass of wine and bed..... perfect day.

And, yet again, my tendon didn't really give me any gyp.  A little twinge on the way up the steps but no swelling or aching on the night.

The forecast's grim for tomorrow so I might have a day spending money in the gear shops!