Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Hedon to Paull (9 miles)

 Sunday, 24th January 2021

Well, I wasn't planning on posting any further local walks as I do them so often but, this one, I've not done for a number of years - primarily due to the mainly unscenic and flat nature of the drain bank, which takes up the majority of the walk.  Plenty of bird life in and around the "river" and I saw a herd of deer in the distance but sadly too far away to get a pic of. 

After a circuit of my favourite bit, I returned along the drain bank(s) until I got to the Saltend Road where I walked the drain bank on the opposite side, just to spice things up a bit.  I always forget which side is the official PRoW but both sides have clearly defined paths which look regularly walked. Having just looked at the map the PRoW is on the outward leg of my walk yet the fingerpost at Saltend Road points to the opposite bank (my return leg)!  

Despite having walked near on 8 miles as I returned to Hedon, my legs didn't feel "done" yet so I took a short detour across the cow field.  It looked quite magical with the hard frost on the pasture.

The hard frost made the under-foot conditions throughout the whole walk a pleasure - the normally slippery, squishy mud was frozen solid.

Anyway, some pics:

Frosty foliage

Saltend's cooling towers from Hedon Haven Clough

Pointless gate with the lighthouses behind at Paull

Windswept Hawthorn

A truly rubbish attempt at an arty-farty pic
of the reflections in Pollard Clough

Wonderful old boat with a less wonderful backdrop!

Heading up (yes up!) onto the frosty cow field


Beginnings of a nice sunset from the frosty cow field

A nice way to while away a Sunday afternoon but I am looking forward to some sort of easing of lockdown. 

Thanks for looking 😊