Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Old Ellerby Circuit (4.8 miles)

 Sunday, 3rd January 2021



First walk of the year.  I chose a route that incorporated a bit of the Hornsea Rail Trail/TPT that I've not done before.  The first part of the walk I've done with our walking group a few times and I was always curious about the bit on the "other side" of the A165.  So today, I decided to explore.

I got parked up at my alternative car parking spot that I use for the bluebells walk.  There is a proper but small car park near Oubrough Manor, plus a massive lorry layby opposite but they're both usually pretty busy.  

A lengthy walk down Crab Tree Lane ensued, through the sleepy little village of Old Ellerby.  There is a cute little Church here:


There is also the Blue Bell pub.  The only pub I know of that has "lock OUTs".  It never looks open (even pre-covid) but it is - I'm sure it's invite only!

Heading out of the other side of the village onto Skirlaugh Road and I was glad I'd wrapped up against the elements (and the promise of rain, sleet and snow) as I mooched along the exposed single track road:


There was a "refreshing breeze" belting across the fields!  Eventually I got off the road and onto the start of the muddy paths.  First, along the short edge of a field before joining the Hornsea Rail Trail:

One day, when this madness is all over, me and a pal from the walking group are going to catch the bus into town and walk the full length of this (about 20 miles).  Definitely a task for when the pubs and cafes along the way are open again!

Crossing a very minor road near Ellerby Gatehouse had me joining the Trans Pennine Trail:

I was glad of this slightly more sheltered bit nearing the other end as a sudden blast of "polystyrene snow" followed by sleety rain attacked me.  Waterproof, windproof and insulated clothing - check - passed.

I crossed the main A165 road at Oubrough Manor and was greeted with a very newly laid tarmac track.  I wonder if the previous bit will receive the same treatment:

Eventually the tarmac track turned into a compacted hardcore farm track and, at Kelwell Farm I took a sharp left turn onto Green Lane:

I don't think "green" describes it very well and I'm re-naming that bit "Mudbath From Hell".  I just hoped the occupants of Kelwell Farm weren't watching me as I slithered, squelched and slid along whilst battling with intermittent sideways sleet.

Crossing to the next field, the mudbath improved slightly into a deeply rutted track but at least the worst bits were avoidable.

The field after that would be what I would describe as a "green lane" and this bit was a pleasure to walk on, if you ignored the fly tipping near the main road:

There was a patch of blue sky in the distance that never quite reached me, but it was nice to see, nonetheless.

After I re-crossed the A165 (which was an easy task in these travel restricted times) it was a simple plod up the quiet road opposite and back to my car.  There were a few nice puddles for me to get the worst of the mud off my shoes too, which was a bonus.

The road will be closed from 4th January for a while so I'm glad I did this walk today.

I really enjoyed getting out in the fresh air and having the elements battering me occasionally.  Came back with sparkly eyes and rosy cheeks.

Thanks for reading 😊