Search This Blog

Pages

Lake District: Sheila's Caravan - Low Rigg / Castlerigg Circuit

Thursday, 12th July 2018


I was still feeling a bit "off" today despite it being overcast and a bit cooler with an occasional spit-spot of rain.  I had in mind to do a walk up and over the hill and along the river to Low Bridge End Farm tea room for a cuppa and a scone. 

In the end, Moira (one of the neighbours) asked if I wanted to do a walk to the ice cream van at Castlerigg Stone Circle.  A bit of company would be nice and we had a jolly good natter on the way round.

Cows and babies behind the farm

Williams Beck - bone dry

Climbers on Skelthwaite Crag

Blencathra and Tewet Tarn from Low Rigg

Derwent Fells over Tewet Tarn
 Sadly, there was no ice cream van at Castlerigg Stone Circle.
Castlerigg Stone Circle
 .. so we headed back over the fells towards High Nest.

Looking down to the campsite

Baby Herdwick

High Rigg with the Helvellyn range behind
 The water company are building a transit pipe and have diverted the footpath for the access road.
Nice polite notice on the diverted RoW
 After we got back, the clouds started to look a bit ominous - possibly a bit of rain to come?
Ominous clouds over High Rigg from the caravan
A smashing little walk.  Lots of little ups and downs to give the legs a rest.  And the longest walk I've done all week!


Friday, 13th July 2018

Today saw me packing my stuff away and cleaning the caravan ready for my journey home.  I would have stayed until Sunday but Sheila's son was coming to the van for the weekend so I needed to be out!

Thanks for looking