Search This Blog

Pages

East Yorkshire: Withernsea evening high tide stroll (1.8 miles)

Wednesday, 4th July 2018

After a bit of a discussion about wild swimming at work, I decided to head to the coast for a short evening stroll on the beach, only, it was high tide and I didn't get much beach time.

Info stone set in the sea wall

Not much beach to play on that-a-way

Even less beach to play on this-a-way
 I decided to take a stroll along the promenade and discovered a looooooong bench not far from Pier Towers with some history inscriptions in.  Bit miffed that I didn't capture all the wording..





The loooooong bench near Pier Towers

Wind turbines on the horizon
A little further along the prom I finally decide to chance it for a short walk along the beach to the next set of steps.
Arty-farty pic

Will I make it before the tide comes right in?
 
It's easy to get caught out assuming there's accessible beach
on both sides of the breakwater
 After returning to the prom I headed inland for a little mini-trip down memory lane... or rather, Piggy Lane.  Strange, I don't remember this lane actually having a name-board.

Looking down the Main Street from Piggy Lane
 Piggy Lane eventually pings you out onto Lascelles Avenue.  
Withernsea Lighthouse
 As I headed back to the prom for the return leg of my walk I started to worry as the weather took a turn for the worse...
It looks like it might rain

Tide's right in on parts of the beach now

Such is the difference of the height of the sand on either side of the breakwaters
they built steps (slowly getting engulfed by the sea)
I decided to run the gauntlet and go back on the beach for a final little sprint back to Pier Towers (the breakwater in the distance on the above picture).

Massive shout out to my Meindl walking shoes.  I've used and abused them.  Neglected them.  They're on their last legs.  The stitching's bust on them at the toe crease and STILL they are waterproof.


A lovely evening stroll, even if it was only just under 2 miles!

Thanks for looking 😊