Search This Blog

Pages

Lake District: Sheila's Caravan - Naddle Valley short evening stroll

Monday, 9th July 2018




Sheila has very kindly let me use her caravan again for a lovely 5 day mid-week escape and, after a long and slow drive up to the Lakes, I arrived early evening.  Got unpacked.  Had a cuppa and a bite to eat.  Had a natter with the neighbours.  Then decided to do a little circuit of the valley and perhaps catch the sunset from my favourite perch on High Rigg.

The whole country is still in the grip of a heatwave and it was nice to be out in the fresh air but out of the blazing hot sun at this time of the evening.

Looking across to Helvellyn from the valley road
 The last time I was here there was a mahoooosive thunderstorm and flash flooding.  This valley was waterlogged and the beck had burst it's banks.... Look at it now:
Looking the other way to the campsite and Blease Fell
 I followed the little lane round the back of the cute cottages and joined the steep farm track up the saddle between High and Low Rigg.  I didn't quite make it to my little rocky perch before the sun set.
Sunset over the Skiddaw range from the zig-zags on the farm track
To be honest, I was quite impressed at how far I got up the farm track before I had to stop for a breather!

However, it was nice to do a short, evening stroll that has a bit of hilly legwork in it for a change.

I got back to the caravan in time to see the local news/weather forecast.  Scorchio for tomorrow's walk.


Thanks for looking